Using Firefox on my daytime PC and Safari on my evening PC (MBP), I've suffered a bit of schizophrenia when it comes to keyboard shortcuts. To get to the Google search box in Safari, I would hit CMD-L (to get to the location bar), and then hit TAB to get to the search box. I very much wanted a CMD-K shortcut, similar to what I use in Firefox.
Earlier today, I found how to do this:
- Open System Preferences > Keyboard & Mouse > Keyboard Shortcuts
- Click the add button in the lower left corner
- Select Safari from the application drop down menu
- Enter "Google Search…" for the menu title (the … is made by clicking OPTION-;)
- Focus on the Keyboard Shortcut textbox and press CMD-K
- Select add and restart Safari
Thanks to the folks over at 5thirtyone for this tip.