A few weeks ago, Vince posted his egg nog drink recipe.
Keeping with that, I wanted to post my favorite Christmas recipe. Every year, I make 3 to 8 of these mint chocolate cheesecakes for family and close friends. These are quite a hit and people ask about them every year. I hope you enjoy these as much as we do here.
- 2 cups finely crushed graham crackers
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 4 8oz packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup creme de menthe
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 5 eggs
- 1 16oz carton sour cream (2 cups)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup milk chocolate pieces
- 1 tsp shortening
- For crust: In a bowl, combine crushed graham crackers and melted butter or margarine. Press evenly on bottom and 2 inches up sides of a 10 inch springform pan. Set aside.
- For filling: In a large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, the 1 1/4cups sugar, creme de menthe and vanilla with an electric mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add eggs all at once, beating on low speed until just combined. Pour mixture into prepared crust. Place on a shallow baking pan in oven.
- Bake in 325 degree oven for 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until the filling is just set.
- Stir together the sour cream and 1/3 cup sugar. Carefully spread over cheesecake. Bake for 10 minutes more. Cool for 15 minutes. Loosen the edges of the springform pan. Cool for 30 minutes. Remove the sides of the pan. Cool completely.
- In a small saucepan, heat milk chocolate pieces and shortening over low heat until melted. Remove from heat. Cool. Spread the melted chocolate over the top of the cheesecake.
- After 5 minutes, score the chocolate layer into 9 to 16 pieces so it will be easier to cut later. Cover and chill the cheesecake until its time to serve.
I hope everyone has a very safe and happy holiday season. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.